performance of the heuristic evaluation

The task was to test our first software prototype without users through heuristic evaluation. After jointly agreeing on a scenario and the tasks to test, each of us did the heuristic evaluation alone, without consulting the other team members! The scenario was simple: just go through the game twice and make notes after each pass.

After every groupmember did this, we sat around a table and had our findings aggregated.

Storyboard 2.0

After several user studies, we have a new updated version of our Storyboard. Prepare to be amazed… 😉

Bildschirmfoto 2013-01-27 um 20.40.25

Bildschirmfoto 2013-01-27 um 20.40.41

Bildschirmfoto 2013-01-27 um 20.41.01


task breakdown

Alexander Fuß

– paper prototype

– user study

Moritz Lawitschka

– programming

– user study

Alexander Dolokov

– programming

– user study

List of changes / Photos of the paper prototype after user testing

As you may have noticed, our paper prototype study had not a very fulfilling outcome. Nevertheless we had two minor changes in our paper prototype. The first one is that instead of using a keyboard to type in the name at the high-score page, the application makes a photo of the user. The second one affects the size of the items in the game itself. One user mentioned that they are a bit too small, so we made them bigger ;).

The following pictures show the changes we made in the paper prototype after user testing:

Photo 22.01.13 15 07 43

3. The Game (Changes: bigger Items)

Photo 22.01.13 15 11 41

4. High-Score (Changes: Photo instead of keyboard)

Summary of the observation and user feedback

We informed our users about the procedure and what we hope to learn from it. Both of them were suitable to our user profile so we could start right away. Unfortunately the output of this study was not as we expected it to be. But still, here are the results of of the paper prototype study:

One positiv aspect of this study was that both users knew what to do rigth away. We did not had to explain a lot. That is why we concluded that, generally, the interface design is intuitive enough that a regular person is able to navigate through the application.

Another thought we had while watching the users going through our paper prototype was that the application is not made for people with any handycap. But since our user profile does not cover this, we did not worry about it too much.

Both users had the same idea as the people from the user study before: Instead of using a keyboard to type in the name at the high-score page, the application could make a photo of the user… we will definitely do that now!

Furthermore one user noted that the size of the icons in the game is too small. We try to change that in the next paper prototype as well.

We must point out that the both users felt a bit awkward while using this paper prototype. But in the end we did get some information out of it.

Paper Prototype + Photos

Before we were getting started, we had to think about the realization of the paper prototype. We decided to make very simple sketches of the elements of our application since we only want so simulate the interaction sequenze of the user tasks. Therefore we used textmarker and white paper to produce them. As „poster wall“ we used an wall in our appartment and placed the paper elements with sticky tape. In addition we played the electro Track we use in the actual application to make the paper prototype more realistic.

Photo 22.01.13 12 23 58

1. Opening Szene

Photo 22.01.13 12 33 20

2. Choose your style

Photo 22.01.13 12 40 24

3. The Game

Photo 22.01.13 12 48 17

4. High-Score

As you may recognized the paper prototype is referring to the first version of our storyboard. This experiment will hopefully contribute to the next version.

Storyboard version 1

Here is a very rough first version of our application. After the user study and some initial tests we will update the storyboard.

Bildschirmfoto 2013-01-13 um 12.14.42

Bildschirmfoto 2013-01-13 um 12.14.58

Task Breakdown (user study)

Alexander Fuß

– questions

– blog

– design modification

– selection of interview persons

Moritz Lawitschka

– questions

– interview

– design modification

Alexander Dolokov

– questions

– interview protocol

– design modification

Design Priciple

Based on the interviews we came up with just one simple design priciple:

 MoveTheBeat should be intuitive / easy to use and fun to play

As you can see in the main findings, they are either about the game itself ( finding 1 and 3) or about the user interface and the navigation (finding 2). It is clear that our focus should be here.

Design Modifications

Based on what we have learned from our interviews we will make some modifications on our application, respectively on our storyboard. As mentioned under „Interview Findings“ there will be an extra button with a special sound. The user can get some additional points when triggering this button. Since he will be pretty busy playing e.g. the bassdrum and the snare it will be difficult to trigger the special button… that’s the pro stuff ;). Another very useful idea was to replace the keyboard at the high-score page with a photo of the user. We will definitely do that. When we started to brainstorm about MoveTheBeat we thougth it would be great to play with the game with hands and feet. During the interview everbody told us that it would be way too hard to play more than two instruments with all the extremities. Thats why we decided that the user just plays the game with his hands.